Monday, April 27, 2015

Tutorial: Adding Beading to Sandals

A new video is up! In this tutorial, I show you how I add beads onto sandals. 



I tried this on a pair of sandals for this first time about 5 years ago. They are still some of my favorite shoes I own (they've held up super well), and I can't believe how many compliments I've received on them! So, I decided to do this with another pair of sandals and made a video about it!

A few things to keep in mind:
  • It doesn't really matter what sandals you choose for this project, they just need to have plenty of blank space to add beads to. 
  • You will probably run out of thread every so often. All you need to do is tie the old thread with the new thread, multiple times. Pull on it to make sure it is very secure. You can just weave the leftover tails into the beading.
  • Try to make sure that the needle always goes through the thickest part of the sandal material. If it just goes through a thin edge of the material, the stitch may tear out eventually.
  • If you're using beads of varying sizes (like I did) and you want to keep all the rows a fairly even length, you'll need to decrease or increase the number of beads you use in each row, depending on their size. For example, on the thinnest parts of the sandal, I used 5 of the smallest beads (size 11), 4 of the medium sized beads (size 8), and 3 of the largest size beads (size 6) in each row. 
  • If the sandal gets wider/thinner like mine did, you'll also need to add/subtract from the amount of beads you're using.


If you're interested, you can buy the sandals I used here: http://www.kmart.com/joe-boxer-women-s-silver-gladiator-thong-sandal/p-035VA81250912P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1


If you try this, I'd love to see what you create! Tag me on instagram @pugdemonium

No comments:

Post a Comment